The aim of the focal action was the targeted inspection of the above-mentioned products due to high complaint rates in the past. Food supplements (NEM) and foods for special medical purposes (FSMP) are often circulated via distribution channels that are not typical for food (internet, personal sale via health care providers, direct sales, etc.).
63 samples from all over Austria were examined, of which 28 samples were objected to (multiple times):
- 17 samples due to inadequate labeling.
- Five samples due to inadmissible disease-related claims
- Ten samples due to violations of nutrition and health claims
- Two samples due to inadmissible composition
- Two samples were classified as unauthorized novel foods