National Reference Laboratory for capripoxviruses (lumpy skin disease and sheep and goats pox)
Our National Reference Laboratory (NRL) for capripox disease (lumpy skin disease and smallpox disease of sheep and goats) is located at the Institute for Veterinary Investigations Mödling in the Divison of Animal Health of AGES. The NRL is accredited according to EN ISO/IEC 17025 and fulfills various tasks impartially and free of any conflict of interest according to EU Control Regulation 2017/625.
These include, among others
- Cooperation with the relevant EU reference laboratory (EU-RL) and, where appropriate, other (international) NRLs of the same orientation.
- Participation in training and inter-laboratory testing provided by the EU-RL.
- Distribution of information provided by the EU-RL
- Scientific and technical support to the competent authorities in the implementation of the Multiannual National Control Plans
- Active support in diagnostics in case of disease outbreak
- Establishment, standardization, validation/verification of test systems
- Keeping strain collections, isolates and reference sera available
- Ensuring knowledge retention and generation
Last updated: 15.06.2022