The aim of the focus action was to check whether the substance "brilliant green" is used in henna hair dyes. Brilliant green is a prohibited ingredient according to the Cosmetics Ordinance.
24 samples from all over Austria were examined. Nine samples were objected to (multiple objections):
- Two samples were harmful to health due to their composition.
- Six samples because of the detection of brilliant green
- One sample because it was advertised as "henna", although it did not contain any ground henna leaves.
- Four samples because of prohibited oxidizing agents
- Two samples due to labeling deficiencies, missing German information and the lack of notification