The AGES Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene in Vienna was entrusted with the tasks of a National Reference Centre for Diphteria Laboratories in 2010:
- Differential diagnosis of Corynebacterium diphtheriae and related genera by means of biochemical methods
- Differential diagnosis of toxigenic Corynebacterium diphtheriae and non-toxigenic strains through Elek tests
- Detection of toxigenic Corynebacterium diphtheriae strains by biomolecular methods
- Participation in European round robin tests
- Maintaining a reference strain of bacteria
- Providing advice on diagnostics, epidemiology, therapy, measures and prevention
Special notes: Samples submitted should always be labelled with information on the origin of the isolates and with the necessary patient, clinical and epidemiological data. To supply this information, please use the relevant submission form. Fresh cultures in their transport medium are most suitable for shipping the strains. On the containers, the medical and diagnostic testing materials must be specified.