The Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene in Vienna was entrusted with the tasks of a National Reference Centre for Cholera in 2002.
- Differential diagnosis of vibrio species and related genera by means of biochemical methods
- Serological differential diagnosis of V. cholerae O1 and O139 and non-agglutinating vibrios
- Detection of toxigenic V. cholera strains by biomolecular methods
- Maintaining a strain collection of epidemiologically important human and environmental isolates
- Participation in research projects about the diversity and pathogenicity of cholera vibrios in domestic waters
- Providing advice on diagnostics, epidemiology, therapy, measures and prevention
Special notes: Samples submitted should always be labelled with information on the origin of the isolates and with the necessary patient, clinical and epidemiological data. To supply this information, please use the relevant submission form. Fresh cultures in their transport medium are most suitable for shipping the strains. On the containers, the medical and diagnostic testing materials must be specified.